Several months ago, God shared with me a precious picture of my relationship with Him. I saw my front porch and rocking chairs. Jesus was sitting in one rocker and I was in the other. I was overwhelmed with the peace, joy, and freedom of simply being in His presence. It is in this place that He often speaks to me. This blog is dedicated to those conversations.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Trusting God

God has been teaching me ALOT about rest the last several months.  This last week, He has been speaking to me about trust.  They go hand in hand.  In order to rest, I must trust.  I have been reading through 1 and 2 Samuel about David.  I often think of David as this sweet, little, innocent shepherd boy strumming on his harp and quietly tending the sheep.  However,  I do not believe that is who David was.  A description of David is given to King Saul in 1 Samuel 16:18 and this is even before David goes to fight against Goliath.  "Then one of the young men answered and said Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite who is a skillful musician, a mighty man of valor, a warrior, one prudent in speech and a handsome man; and the Lord is with him."  David was strong and no stranger to adversity.  Even in the field, caring for his fathers flock, he encountered  threatening situations with the lion and the bear.  He was a man of war and trained for battle.  By the time he become king, at the age of 30, he had fought in at least 4 battles and had killed many people.  David had no qualms in pursuing and defeating the enemy.  However, there was one man, one enemy, that David refused to lay a hand on.  King Saul.

King Saul hated David and pursued David with the intent of killing him.  However, in all of David's encounters with King Saul, David never sought to kill him.  This is what caught my attention.  Here is a young man, victorious in battle, a hero to the people, having the knowledge that he would be King of Israel one day, but one person was in his way.  One man was trying to kill him and keep him from the throne.  David had two opportunities in which he could have taken Saul's life, but he didn't.  Why did David not do the obvious thing, and kill his enemy?  He had killed all his other enemies, why not King Saul? 

This is the answer that I have come to:  David had a deep respect for the sovereignty of God's will. He did not allow his life or his own desires to get in the way of God's plan.  David cried out to God for safety and protection.  There were times that he even felt abandoned by God.  However, he always came back to the truth of God's sovereignty, he always came back to trusting and praising God.  WOW! 

It blows me away, because I'm not sure I can say that much for myself.  It is all about the issue of trust.  David trusted God, His will, and His plan.  He allowed God to be God.  It is a challenge for me.  It is hard to sit back and trust that God is in control.  Especially, when life doesn't make sense and no answer is in sight. God is saying to me, "Trust me."  I often assume when life does not go as planned it is  a snare of the devil to get in my way, to hinder me.  However, God has given me new perspective.  I love when He does this!  It is not always a snare of the devil when life does not go as planned.  The plans I have in life are often my plans.  So the change of my plans is not a snare of the devil, it is just God going about His plan!  No snare, just God being God and working out His perfect plan.

I believe there are times the devil attacks us and tempts us so we might fall and hinder what God is doing in our lives and in the life of His church.  However, even when this is the case, the Word of God tells me that God will take what is intended for evil and He will use it for good (Genesis 50:20), that God will supply all my needs (Philippians 4:19), what He has started He will finish (Philippians 1:6), that all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).   Satan cannot come up with a big enough plan to nullify these promises or to throw off the plan and will of God.

The issue is about trust.  David knew this.  He knew if God was for him then no one could be against him (Psalm 56).  And that is the truth!  It is so easy to say. "Yes, God is for me so who or what can be against me."  It is a lot harder to walk it out in a life of faith and trust in God.  Trusting God is knowing His truth, claiming it in our lives, and  living it out by resting and trusting in God's plan.  No doubt . . . . only trust. 

Proverbs 3:5-7  Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

No comments: