Several months ago, God shared with me a precious picture of my relationship with Him. I saw my front porch and rocking chairs. Jesus was sitting in one rocker and I was in the other. I was overwhelmed with the peace, joy, and freedom of simply being in His presence. It is in this place that He often speaks to me. This blog is dedicated to those conversations.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Joseph: A Heart Refined by Fire

I think I have mentioned it before that I am reading through the Psalms.  This afternoon, I was in Psalm 105.  Verses 18 and 19 made me pause in my reading.  They say,

"They afflicted his feet with fetters.  He himself was laid in irons;  Until the time that his word came to pass, The word of the Lord tested him." 

The Psalmist is speaking about Joseph and his time in prison after he was falsely accused of trying to seduce Potifer's wife.  The words that specifically jumped out at me were, "until the time that his word came to pass, The word of the Lord tested him."  I looked up the Hebrew word for "word" and it means utterance, speech, word, saying, promise, command.  Then I looked up the word "tested".  It's definition is to smelt, refine, test, and prove true.  Lastly,  I looked up the word "smelt" and found  it means to melt or fuse for the purpose of separating and refining the metal.  It caused me to ask the question, "what was the word or promise of the Lord to Joseph?  And how did it refine him and test him?"

I went back to Genesis and reread the story of Joseph.  As I read, a new image of Joseph began to emerge for me.  I believe that Joseph had an issue with pride.  He was the son of his father's favorite wife; his first love.  I am sure he knew he was the favorite and I think he used it against his brothers.  There is nothing unusual about siblings pushing each others buttons on purpose!  If you doubt me, I invite you to come over and observe my three children for awhile!  I don't think Joseph was an exception to this button pushing, either!  :) 

In Genesis 37:2, Joseph brings back a bad report about his brothers to his father.  This sounds an awful lot like tattling to me!  I know there is only one reason that my children tattle.  It is to get each other into trouble!  That is what Joseph was up to also.  Then on top of that, Joseph decides to share with his brother's his dream.  This may not have been a big deal if Joseph and his brothers had a good relationship!  But they didn't.  His brothers hated him and could not say anything nice to him.  I can imagine they were barely on speaking terms with each other.  Joseph would have had to approach them and then get them to listen to him. This would have been a task in itself to talk to people that want nothing to do with you.  He put a lot of effort into this.  I can see him with a smug smile on his face as he says, "hey guess what I dreamed last night!  Just let me tell you;  this was a good one.  I dreamed that you are going to someday worship me.  Someday I will be greater then you!"  He did this twice to them!  No wonder they hated him so much!  He was a twerp, cocky, arrogant, and full of himself. 

I suppose Joseph may have been brought down a peg or two when his brothers finally had enough and threw him into the well to die.  This might have felt like a better option to him once he realized he was going to be sold into slavery instead.  But, I can just imagine that a bit of that cockiness came worming its way back into his life when he was sold to Potifer and put in charge of all Potifer's household.  I could be completely wrong, but I believe that God allowed Joseph to be put into prison for this very reason.  So that the promise of the Lord would be given the opportunity to test him.  To put him through a smelting process.  To draw out of Joseph all of his pride and to replace it with a humble heart.  In order for Joseph to be used for the purpose God had ordained for him, he needed to be put through  fire to separate the ore of pride from the precious metal of servant hood and humbleness.

I can imagine some of Joseph's thoughts and feelings as he was thrown into prison.  Why am I here?  How can the promise God gave me happen if I am stuck in here?  This does not make sense!

God knew what  would be  required  of Joseph to one day rule as second in command of Egypt.  He understood Joseph could not rule properly if he did not have a humble heart.  Pride of his position would quickly take over and a fall from great heights would have quickly ensued.  Joseph had to be humble to be able to listen to God and then obediently carry out God's command. 

It is the same for us too.  That is what is so awesome about the lessons of those that have gone before us.  They prove as examples and reminders for us to learn from and live by.  It is hard to listen when we are so filled up with ourselves.  It is even harder to obey the command, because we think we know better.  But we don't.  God knows best.  I have been encouraged by this today!  Going through a time of testing is not bad.  It doesn't mean that God is not with us or that He is against us.  It means that He is perfecting His perfect will in our lives.  He is preparing us for what is to come!  I do not look forward to times of testing, nor do I enjoy going through them!  It hurts to die to self!  However, it is encouraging to know, after the fire dies down and the process  is over, we will come out refined as silver and as gold!

Job 23:10
1 Peter 1:3-9
Psalm 66:8-12
Malachi 3:3




Refining Silver

Some time ago, a few ladies met in a certain city to read the scriptures, and make them the subject of conversation. While reading the third chapter of Malachi they came upon a remarkable expression in the third verse: "And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." One lady's opinion was that is was intended to convey the view of the sanctifying influence of the grace of Christ. Then she proposed to visit a silversmith and report to them what he said on the subject.

She went accordingly and without telling the object of her errand, begged to know the process of refining silver, which he fully described to her. "But Sir" she said, "do you sit while the work of refining is going on?" "Oh, yes, madam," replied the silversmith; "I must sit with my eye steadily fixed on the furnace, for if the time necessary for refining be exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured."

The lady at once saw the beauty, and comfort too, of the expression, "He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." Christ sees it needful to put His children into a furnace; His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for them. Their trials do not come at random; "the very hairs of your head are all numbered."

As the lady was leaving the shop, the silversmith called her back, and said he had forgotten to mention that the only way that he knows when the process of purifying is complete when he sees his own image reflected in the silver....
--Author Unknown

No comments: